The ethos and aims of Ashton Community Science College provide the framework within which the curriculum operates
Our ethos, underpinned by PROUD, is to achieve and maintain the highest standards of learning and personal responsibility within a caring and secure atmosphere, in which all members of the school family – students, staff, parents, governors and community – are valued.
- To develop confidence, independence and self-respect in students.
- To provide opportunities for all members of the school to develop their full potential.
- To expect that high standards in all aspects of school life are the norm.
- To provide equal opportunities for each student to grow and develop academically, socially, culturally, spiritually, morally, creatively and physically.
- To provide teaching and learning opportunities which enable young people to have a broad, balanced curriculum in a stimulating and happy atmosphere.
- To foster within the Ashton family a respect for others and a sense of responsibility in school, in the community and on a world scale.
The Ashton curriculum is built on the statutory requirements, together with additional experiences appropriate to the needs of our students. High-quality learning and teaching are the aims of the college. Students are challenged and constantly encouraged to reach their potential and, as such, high expectations are a prerequisite.
The attached policy sets out the principles and organisation of our curriculum, which aims to prepare students for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life.
The Options Process
In Year 8, students will make choices in relation to the optional subjects they are able to study in Years 9, 10 and 11. The website link below provides more detailed information in relation to the core subjects that all students are required to study, and the additional options choices available. Information evenings and careers information are provided to parents and students in advance of the options process.